Saturday, September 13, 2014

How to get the most out of your next appointment

This has been on my mind since I started in the beauty industry, so here goes. As a cosmetologist, whether you specialize in hair or nails, there is absolutely nothing more disappointing and heart wrenching than an unsatisfied client. We all wish we had magical powers but, unfortunately none of us do. There are so many amazing stylists around for hair and nails that have serious talent, and truthfully even the most amazing hair stylist or nail tech around might not be for you, shocking right? None of us want our clients to be unsatisfied, we are all going to work as hard as we can to give you exactly what you want, but sadly there are a lot of factors that go into giving you "that look" or "that exact set in the picture" and it is not always naturally attainable. 


 


The good news? There are some things you can do as a client to make sure you find the right person for all your beauty needs. I have made a few suggestions below on how you, as the client, can get the most out of your next appointment.


1. Do your research: Ugh, research right? You are the one paying to be pampered, you already worked for that money you are going to spend, why should you do more work? Well, if you want to walk out of that salon happy; yes do some research! There are a few things you should look into:

-The Style:  Wow, everyone is raving about this nail tech and the nails she does, awesome! Schedule an appointment right away! No, you need to ask yourself a few things first. Does she do the particular style that you like? If it looks like colors, nail art, and bling are her thing and you are looking for just white tips, maybe look for someone else. Personally, I don't mind doing things out of my "norm", but I do prefer the clients that love my particular "style", this is what has fueled me for years, gave me my passion, and supported me in building and expanding my style. The same goes for hair. 

-The Price: This is a given, most ask this first, which you should, but don't forget about looking for those additional charges. Some salons and stylists charge per foil if you are getting highlights, after the base cost. There are some nail artists that charge X amount of dollars per nail, for nail art. Ask questions about these! That way there will be no shocking surprises of how much you are going to pay. 

-Sanitation Status: I have had clients that previously went to places and got a nail fungus, ew! This is so important! Don't get a service from somewhere that is even rumored to have had sanitation issues arise, unless they have been properly addressed! That hour of pampering is not worth what you could walk out of some places with. There have even been staph infections, in the past, spreading from pedicure baths. That is pure laziness on behalf of the salon, but definitely something you should look into.

-Professionalism: You are going to have to spend an hour or more with this person; will you be able to relate to them? Or, are you going to sit there and think "Why won't this freaking woman shut up so I can relax?" As hard as I try to respect the client in my chair, and test the waters on subjects, I can guarantee you I have offended more than a few people, at times it is, inevitable. 

-Last but not least, Quality and guarantee: The finished product (nails, hair color etc.,) might look awesome but, what is going to happen when you wash your hair?  What if you hit your nail gently and it pops right of? Does this stylist have a guarantee and how long does it last? Ask them! I would say at least 75% of the time, if there is a guarantee you are going to automatically get quality. An average guarantee would be about two weeks on nails and 4-6 weeks on hair.   

2. Pictures: This is a personal one for me, so it depends on the stylist for sure, but, I absolutely love it when my clients send me pictures of hair styles they are considering or nail sets they like. I love to have the time before the appointment to think about how I can do the look, what personal spin I can put on it to customize what I am going to do and to make sure it is attainable.
P.S. I also love it when clients sit down and say "Just go for it!", that's when magic happens.

3. Don't be afraid to speak up and be "picky": But, on the other side of this, DON'T TELL YOUR STYLIST HOW TO DO HER JOB, nor question how she does it. We do want to know what you are thinking, and if something is bothering you; even if it does offend us a little.

4. In most cases, you get what you pay for: 




5. Tips are definitely appreciated and encouraged: Yes, this is an argument I see a lot. People think they are paying for the service, why tip? Well, there are a lot of cost factors that go into that service like booth rent, the supplies used, products etc., and if you didn't know tips secretly say, "Wow, you did an awesome job, I am so happy with the results, thank you for putting all of this time and effort into making me feel beautiful, I appreciate it and I look forward to our next appointment knowing that you will put the same amount of effort, if not more into making me look this great. Buh-Bye!"  

6. Show up to your appointment and on time: There is nothing worse than a no call, no show. We book out those hours for YOU and a lot of the time end up missing out on other appointments (hence: money) when you don't let us know before hand. It is so hard when your client shows up even 15 minutes late, as well - if we are busy, it is going to push our whole day back and we are going to be rushed. 






No comments:

Post a Comment